Want More?

Follow me on SnapChat: leandra3011 and Instagram: leandra3712

November 18, 2016

Statia Day Review: The Social Media Version part 1

I am grateful that I was able to follow Statia Day's events via social media. Really, the internet is God's mercy on me. The problem with social media is that imortalizes mistakes. This may or may not be very controversial but someone has to provide feedback in order for us to move forward. In this blog and the next, I am going to share the good the bad and the ugly. Try not to be offended if you're in this blog. I tried as much as possible to offer tips for improvement.


Let's start with the fabulous, dancers in the student performance! I don't think many understand exactly how difficult it is for interpretive dance to incite emotion via a computer screen but they did that. Their outfits were also beautiful. The clean, pure look worked for the song.


Now everyone with ears knows that Statian children have golden voices but I missed hearing more of them. I was told that the live version was much better but for future reference microphones need to be positioned in a way that allows the audio on cameras to pick them up over the soloist. I would have loved it if the kids were all dressed in the same clothes. I am aware of the uniform issue so maybe robes could be an option? All in all very well done!



Rosabel Blake's poem? My EXTREMELY biased opinion is that is was fantastic and that she nailed her performance by being comical but also very real. You can read the poem on yesterday's blog.


There were other musical performances that I missed so I can't speak to their greatness. I heard parts of  Felistas' rendition and I thought it was beautiful and raw. I really hope that she gets some coaching because she could be the next big thing! She also has a YouTube channel so if you have time check it out.



I don't know if I am the only one who thinks that the uniform groups looked sloppy this year. The Brigades looked as if they were over the entire march before the salute (that the didn't make) at Cool Corner. The Pathfinders looked good in their uniforms but they were few in numbers and there was but a handful of Adventurers. With no Eager Beavers to rescue us with their cuteness the entire thing it was a painful ordeal. Also why are there two Statia flags heading one parade? Statia please learn protocol and get it together. If the Pathfinders are forever doomed to the back because of a BS rule THAT DOES NOT EXIST (I fact checked) tell them that they can't march with the flag or better yet put law enforcement to carry the colors. I'm sure you guys can figure something out.

 
There was a cake decorating contest and the cake that won was beautiful and truly depicted our island. The July tree flowers with the golden Statia was everything. Everything screamed Statia except for the iguana. The endangered Lesser Antillean iguana is usually brown and the one on the cake resembled a Green Iguana. Yes I am aware that I am nitpicking now but I just want our island to improve in every aspect!


As much as I want to talk about the clothing, makeup and speeches I will leave it here for now. Come back tomorrow for part two!

XOXO,

IslandGyal


No comments:

Post a Comment